D-Day Writing by Teo

D-Day

My comrades and I still remember the day where we sent an attack to the German troops in France. All of the training up to the day was a nail-biting experience. I was a school teacher, forced into the war. We’d been waiting for this horrific day to come for all of our time in the army, but when the day had come, we wanted to go home…

We felt the coldness of the day as time went on. The seas were still rough and once I was on the boat, I had already felt sea-sick. Each minute leading up to the event felt very quick, time almost felt like it was going on the opponent’s side. Only a couple of minutes in, I had already thrown up, but luckily, I was near the edge of the boat.

Hours passing by felt like minutes as I could start to see the beach. I and my comrades huddled up, knowing our chances of survival were below 1%. We quietly whispered words of wisdom to each other, wishing the best of luck for survival. Suddenly, a loud noise coming from the general’s direction broke the silence of the early morning. He’d said that there were only a couple of hours left. Where had the time gone?

Throwing up again, I could see the beach; it was now in clear sight of all of us. Adrenaline was rushing through my veins as I slowly sat down, only to realise that unless I wanted to be drenched in puke, I couldn’t sit down. My legs in agony, I tried sitting on the edge of the boat, but a wave came and I’d fallen out. Once I had fallen, I could hear the general yell that there was only 30 seconds left.

Freezing in the water, I tried to keep up with the pace of the boat, but I was trailing behind. I felt lost; no-one would have spotted me because I was underwater for at least 5 seconds. Well, that was what I thought…

Luckily, one of my closest friends had spotted me trailing behind by a couple of feet, and threw me a rope. I grasped onto it, determined to get back onto the boat. As I finally climbed back onto the boat, the general had said there was only 10 seconds until we’d reach our destination. That was when I heard the whistle blow and saw the ramp lower to a stretch of water, at least a quarter of a mile away from the beach. This was the end and I could feel it…

I could hear the rushing of footsteps in the water, determined to find shelter on the beach. I barely dodged the rounds of machine guns firing at me. Unfortunately, the last bullet in one of the rounds had hit me in the chest. I struggled to breathe, as I fell into the water, the blood exiting my body very quickly. Floating along the water, barely any strength left in me, I took my MIA tactical rifle out and fired a couple of shots, before I floated away, dead.